Thursday, January 4, 2018

The Christmas Revue

For organizational purposes (which I'm sure you're concerned about), I'm going to recap Christmas by itself before I dive into the December recap. 

And NO, I did not mis-spell "Review" in the title.  The definition of "Revue" is a comical theatrical production and that's pretty much what I always feel like our Christmas is.  

Since we always travel to Mississippi for Christmas, we typically do our little family Christmas together before we leave town.  We wanted Greyson to have a "Christmas morning" here at home, so this ended up being the morning of the day we actually left town, which was not stressful at all.  (Packing up ourselves, the dog, and all the gifts, no prob.) 

And since we are the typical parents who wait until the last minute, we were putting a pirate ship and tee-pee together at 11:00 the night before.  When Jeremie decided that we needed to create a "treasure hunt" complete with clues at 11:30, I told him PEACE OUT. 

So "Christmas morning" arrived and we indeed had a great time. It was all worth it of course, because Greyson is such a fun age and so into ALL THE TOYS. I had ordered some pirate-themed gifts and then J got to Amazon-surfing and went with a Native American theme.  It was like Pirates of the Caribbean and Braveheart landed at the North Pole.  


Sadly, we have sorta forgotten to stuff Manny's stocking the past couple of years (that's what happens when you have a kid), but this year we made up for it! 


The pirate ship has been....worth it's weight in gold...pardon the pun...He LOVES it.
Cutest little Indian I've ever seen.

The last gift was a a little Melissa and Doug Treasure chest.  I scored this cheap little treasure map off Amazon, and Jeremie did indeed stay up hand drawing and cutting out some "clues" that matched the treasure map.  He placed them around the house and the "treasure" was outside the front door with a big red "X" on it, just like the map.  Not sure who is enjoying being a little boy more.....

It really was adorable and G loved the treasure hunt.  Definitely set a higher standard for our daytime activities.  Thanks, J.

After we finished unwrapping gifts, Jeremie and I GOT TO IT.  Clothes were flying in bags, bags were flying in the car, and we actually pulled out mid-day, about 30 minutes ahead of schedule.  (We are typically one hour behind schedule, so we were high-fiving each other on the way out of town.

We drove halfway and stopped in Ruston to spend the night.  The next morning, we were off to Mississippi and of course had to make our traditional stop at the Welcome Center to look at the river. (And the cannons.) Someone offered to take our picture but she clearly was not patient with us getting our act together.  This was the BEST of 3. 


Never get tired of this view.
 Not long after we crossed the state line, I had white cheese dip on the brain.  (TEXAS, PLEASE GET ON BOARD WITH THIS.) So we stopped at the first Mexican restaurant we saw and dove in.


Much to our luck, there was an excavator and dirt pile behind the restaurant, so little buddy got out the wiggles. 


We finally arrived at Nona and Papa's house and at that point I'm like handing my kid over, putting my pj's on, and chugging hot cocoa in the corner. He had a great time reuniting with all his Mississippi friends.  (The big monkey was Jeremie's childhood animal, and the old Simba is mine. We thought they belonged together now.) 


The next night we went to the most darling event called Zoo Lights at the Hattiesburg Zoo. It was so festive and fun!


In this action shot, Greyson is telling me to STEP OFF of the carousel. 

We rode the "Polar Express"...which in MS, means the 75 Degree in December Express. The lights around the park were so pretty!

Greyson was obsessed with going in and out of the Prairie Dog tunnel, which SHOCKED me because it was dark in there.  He was confident with his lights and following the other kids.



The next day I did a little shopping with my mom in Downtown Laurel (home of the "Home Town" show on HGTV) while the in-laws spoiled played with Greyson.  I came home to him in a Spider-Man costume that he just HAD to have.  One more for the collection.  He requested I take a picture.

                         

Unfortunately, my beloved started feeling SUPER SICK that day, and I'll spare you the cliffhanger; it ended up being the flu.  I was so sad for him, but we essentially quarantined ourselves from him the rest of the week.  He was so sad to miss all the festivities.  

On Christmas Eve, we put out our "Reindeer Food" that we had made at Aunt Jorie's and also left cookies and milk for Santa.  This is the first year that G has sort of taken to the idea of Santa.  We don't really talk about him too much or make it a big thing, but let's be real people, he's all over the place during Christmas.  So we kind of make it a fun side thing and let him bring Greyson a small gift on Christmas.  (He ain't gettin' credit for my themed gifts and treasure hunt.


I love the morning sunrises at my in-laws house and Christmas morning was no different.  

                                    

Greyson woke up and immediately checked the cookie platter and was relieved to see that Santa left him some in the jar..... : ). 

                        

                       
 
He loved his "Worker Vest" and insisted on wearing it the rest of the day.
We headed to "Party #1", which is always breakfast at Jeremie's grandparent's house.  


The grand and great-grand children ABOUND in this family.  We have certainly mastered the art of multiplying.  The little baby on the right is NOT a doll BTW, that's a real baby.  The littles had a great time, and in a moment of panic, me and one of the Mamas got locked in a bedroom with all of them. It was like The Hunger Games in there.  Fortunately, someone let us out from the other side.


Party #2 commenced back at my in-laws house.  This is when the real spoiling begins. 

These two little cousins played SO HARD. 
After G's nap, we headed to my parent's house for PARTY #3. Greyson went straight for the Paw Patrol wrapping paper.  


And he finally got what he'd been asking for FOR WEEKS....A Chase costume....off came the Worker Vest.


Auntie Amy is the "Fun Aunt" and the main attraction at my parents.  She gives her duties 150% went she's with G.  It's amazing.  She gave him a set of puppets and he got the biggest kick out of them.


Of course my Dad had to join in too....


After gifts my mom had her famous Gumbo ready for us, and we all chowed down.  At that point, I was so exhausted; my preggo body was literally about to give out.  

The rest of the week was pretty low key.  We spent lots of time playing and enjoying my fam. (And staying away from Jeremie and his germs.

By the end of the week, Jeremie was feeling better, and alas, it was time to return to Texas.  

As most of you know, my sweet Grammy passed away this month, so I had to pop into her home one more time before I left town.  For me, this house was like my second home; it is full of a lifetime of incredible memories.  It was a bittersweet way to end Christmas break.  But super thankful for the time I got to spend with her and my Big Jack here.  


And that was Christmas y'all!  I hope yours was full of good things. I am super excited to have our little baby girl join us next year!  ; ). 


No comments:

Post a Comment