Sunday, March 6, 2011

One Lucky Pound Puppy

So today is our little buddy's one year anniversary! Since Manny was a pound puppy and we have no idea when his birthday is, today is the closest thing we can celebrate.
I had been wanting a dog for a long time, and kept trying to convince J we NEEDED a dog. (As if we NEED anything.) I guess J finally figured that if I we were going to get one, he'd better have a say in it, so he looked online and found "Manny" who was at the Bainbridge Humane Society.

Here was the original picture:

I also found a few dogs at some different shelters online, so one Saturday, while J was on call, I went on the dog hunt. J sent me out the door with these instructions: Don't bring back a dog that is yeppie, a shedder, and NO CHIHUAHUAS.
So I went to the Leon & Thomas County Humane Societies and saw some cute pups, but none that I connected with. I actually "trial tested" a couple, one who wouldn't give me the time of day, and the other who shed so much white fur that it looked like a bomb of fur went off in the room.
So Bainbridge was my last stop to see what this Manny dog was all about. I walked in and was led back to the kennel. Manny was across the room, in the second row of kennels, but the second I walked in, he turned around and looked at me; I immediately saw him, walked straight to his kennel, opened it, and knew we had our dog. Didn't even look at any other dogs. I asked Manny if he was a yeppie dog or a shedder and he told me no, so I took him home to his new daddy. : ) (He actually lied about being a shedder.)
For the first few days, Manny was quite shy and walked with his tail tucked between his legs. Fast forward a year later and we have the most social, spoiled pup, who thinks everything is about him. He LOVES running around the property, cuddling on the couch, and every now & then, manage to get himself on the bed. There is not a shy bone in his body.
NOTE: Yes, Jeremie and I have a million pillows on our bed, and no, we do not have enough matching pillowcases to accomadate our love for a million pillows.
We love our little guy; he has been such a great addition to our little family. He has brought us a lot of joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment