Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Serious Conversations

Lately, Greyson has been really into a Mississippi State snow globe that I gave Jeremie for Christmas a long time ago.  He loves to hear it play the fight song and shake the "snow" in it.  We also tell him about all the buildings on campus that are in the snow globe and the fun memories we've had there...

                                         

The Drill Field....where the brick is that has our names and wedding date inscribed. I revealed it to Jeremie on the day of our wedding....

The Football Field...where we've spent countless hours tailgating and cheering on the Bulldogs...

Lloyd Ricks...the Agricultural building where I took all of my classes...

The Coliseum...where basketball games are played and where we walked across the stage with our diplomas...

Lee Hall...one of the oldest buildings on campus....(which also happens to be "Pop's name", I tell him) 

The Chemistry Building...where both of us STRUGGLED (I'll admit, Jeremie was in much harder chemistry classes than I

And of course...The Chapel Of Memories...where "Mommy and Daddy got married"...

I keep telling Greyson that maybe one day he'll go to school at Mississippi State and make his own memories on campus.  

Meanwhile...he's soaking this all up more than I know.  

Today while he was looking at the globe, he says...."I go to Mississippi State?" And I said...."Sure buddy....as long as you don't go to Ole Miss another school up North". 

He pointed to a building we don't talk about much (because I wasn't smart enough to be in it), and said: "What's that place?" I told him it would make Mama VERY PROUD if he ended up in that building, because that... is the ENGINEERING BUILDING. 

And he quickly replies "NO, I wanna go to the football field and watch the Bulldogs play."  Okay. Seems like we have a boy who is already destined to skip class for sports.  

He continues on and spots the "America Flag", and water tower, and then his next comment split my soul in two....

He pointed to the Chapel and said: "And I could get married there, too"...

And I about lost it all right there. I told him "Yes, you could, baby." And in my head I'm thinking GOD BLESS THE GIRL THAT TAKES MY BABY AWAY.  Just kidding. Sort of.

But this "conversation" has me envisioning him growing up.  Being school age.  Then High School age.  And then I pictured him actually walking around campus with his backpack (No, not a Pottery Barn one with dump trucks and his name adorably embroidered on the back).  And even though I KNOW he won't be a toddler forever, sometimes it seems like it.  Sometimes I don't prepare for the next stage because I'm just trying to get through this one.  

And even though it made me sorta weepy, it was actually encouraging.  Because it gave even more purpose to our days. (Besides mastering potty skills and putting food on the table.) I am literally preparing him to be a "BIG BOY"... a disciple, a gentleman, a student, a professional, a grown up...and yes...hopefully one day, a husband.  (Lord have mercy, I'm tearing up as I type it!) 

If his thoughts are this complex at almost 3 years old, what will he be thinking at 5...6...10...16? 

This little mini-conversation gave me a fresh perspective, new goals for our future "conversations", and definitely some details that I can start praying about in his life that just haven't been on my radar.  

I found several quotes about children growing up (another great way to cry your eyes out), and I especially loved this one...



No comments:

Post a Comment