Thursday, May 19, 2011

Ode to the Mamas....

So Mother's Day was a couple Sundays ago and I've been meaning to salute the mothers in my life via blog. 

This Mother's Day, Mom & Amy visited Tally, which was really special.  It was great to spend some quality time with my mama! Doesn't matter how old I get, there's something about hugs from your mom that are like no other.  Thanks Mom, for always being there and putting our family's needs above yours.  

Below is my favorite pic of all time of me and Mom...doing our signature "Triple Kiss" on my wedding day.  (I can't tell  you what a triple kiss is....if I told you I'd have to kill you.) 



To my "Mother in Marriage":  
Jeremie's fabulous God-fearing mother who could pray up snow storm in the middle of July. If I told her every day what an incredible son she has raised, it still wouldn't be enough. Mama Cate has prayed us through all the seasons of our relationship and Jeremie values her advise so much.  He LOVES. HIS. MAMA.
More favorite pics below: Left: Our rehearsal dinner....Right: Groom & Mother of the Groom



The GRAND-MAMAS: And boy are they grand. We are blessed with such amazing grandmothers. From the Left: "Grammy", my mom's mom; "Grandma" my dad's mom, and "Grandmother", J's grandmother on his mom's side. 
When I was born, I looked so much like Grammy, I could've been her daughter.  She's a spunky Cajun lady who knows how to throw a party and cook the world's best gumbo.  Always there to provide the "magic pillows" for a great nap, or a shoulder to lean on, Grammy is a nurturer at heart. 

Grandma, my email partner, and one of my #1 Blog Followers,  was always the "Hider of the Eggs" on Easter and took me to choir practice every Wednesday! Watch out for her deviled eggs; they're the best.  She loves a "deal", so this is likely where I inherited my love of shopping. : )  

Grandmother Mathis refers to Jeremie as her "Sunshine", and there is one word to sum up how Jeremie & Grandmother feel about each other: Adoration.  Each thinks the other hung the moon. : ) All family events are held at Grandmother's house, who amidst the 50 family members present, always seems to cook each person their preference of eggs on Christmas morning. 


And to my "Honorary Mamas"  who have stepped in as mamas over the years when needed:  

Mrs. Alyce.  If you've met her, you know how special she is. Her and Mom are like sisters, and sometimes scare me when they get together. ALWAYS providing a good laugh, she's known me since I was born, and s treats me like one of her own.  She is the creativity behind the gorgeous wreaths at our wedding....


Mrs. Carol Trussell:  Neighbor and mama alike. Always there to keep me on my toes, she put up with all the practical jokes me and her son played on each other, which oftentimes included ran-sacking her house or front yard. She's another prayer warrior who I'm glad is on my side. : ) 


To wrap up my Belated Mother's Day Salute, below is the poem that I wrote for my mom and gave to her the day before our wedding.  It's hard to express how special my mom is to me, but I found it easier to do when rhyming!  It's pretty amateur, but I figured I'd post it anyway! 

Mother of the Bride

Not often I’m lost for words,
And don’t know what to say,
But how do you thank your mother enough
On your wedding day?

“Mother of the Bride”,
Is the title you will be,
But what it actually means,
No one will ever see.

You tucked me into bed
With a triple kiss each night,
And worked on all my costumes
Until you got them just right.

If I had a bad dream,
In my bed you would stay.
And at every piano recital
You held your breath while I’d play.

For all my school projects
You came up with a scheme.
And at every birthday party,
There was always a theme.

It’s our annual Piccadilly trip
After camp on the way back.
It’s making sure at recess
I always had a good snack.

You hung all our stockings
Each year in their special place
You held me as I cried
With tears running down my face.

All the times we’ve prayed,
About God doing His will.
And your very wise words:
“Sometimes He just wants you to be still”

So the title “Mother of the Bride”
Comes with no fortune or fame,
But today it is the title
That only you can claim.

Because it’s more than dressing up
To say you give me away,
It’s your unfailing love you give me
Each and every day.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

1 comment: