Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Show & Tell Tuesday: Names!

Okay, so I'm actually a week late with this Show & Tell, but hey......better late than never!  I'm linking up with Andrea at Momfessionals to discuss "Names"....


So we'll start with the Mister. Jeremie's full name is actually Thomas Jeremie Wells, and as we all know, he goes by Jeremie, or for ease, "J" in all my text, emails and blogs. (Poor guy, I have stripped him of all his identity except one letter.) So Thomas is a family name and when I asked his mom what inspired his first name she said "We couldn't agree on Rocky". HAHAHAHA!!! I have to say, if Jeremie's name would've been Rocky, he would have TOTALLY lived up to it. He still loves to tie stuff around his head and scream "ADRIAN!!!!!"  You see any similarities here????.......


A legend in his own mind.
Anyway.....even Jeremie's mom agreed that calling him by his middle name probably made for more complicated paperwork over all these years. My dad also goes by his middle name; he's Liston Lee Taylor. So when J and I were naming Greyson, we kept this in mind. 

My name is a conglomeration. Kathryn Elizabeth Taylor was my name before we got married. My mom wanted to totally name me "Katie Beth" but my dad thought that sounded like a nickname. (My mom and a few select friends still call me this though.) So they both like Kathryn; my dad was "inspired" by the very popular actress, Kathryn Hepburn. (I watched one of her movies a long time ago and was not so inspired.) But I did Google her for purposes of this blog and saw a couple of inspiring quotes....




Then I noticed through Google-ing that she was an atheist, so we definitely do not share in that area. 

Two of my great grandmothers were both named Elizabeth, which was a very popular name then. But my parents didn't want me to be "Elizabeth Taylor", so they stuck that name in the middle. Personally, I probably wouldn't have minded being Elizabeth Taylor.....
Unfortunately, I do not have a comparative picture to add like J's Rocky picture above. 
For Greyson's name, I was so afraid we'd NEVER agree, because J and I were all over the map!  I was supposed to be "Andrew" if were a boy, so I really liked this name for a boy. But J didn't. Jeremie liked the name Josiah, which I just didn't think was right either. We knew we wanted to keep the family name "Thomas" in the middle, so the first name had to sound right with that.  I borrowed the "Book of 100,000 Names" from my friend Mary and after a complete search, I found 2 names I liked: Emerson and Ramsey. (I guess I overlooked "Greyson".)  Jeremie didn't like either and after our gender sonogram, I just didn't feel like either name fit our baby. (I know, at that point, he was the size of a coke can, but it just wasn't right. We both liked "Wyatt", but really.....try to say "Wyatt Wells" three times fast. (I had a speech impediment as a child, so I'm not even going there.) My dad had an especially good time harassing suggesting appropriate names for our child. About three weeks after we found out it was a boy, J and I were eating dinner and tossing around names. For some reason, I just said, "what about Greyson?" and J liked it. The spelling makes it a little different but it's easy to pronounce and sounds good with "Thomas". We quickly looked up the meaning in our Book of 100,000 Names, and it said "Son of a gray-haired man". That wasn't too inspiring, but we didn't really care.  (And after these past 6 months, this meaning has probably come true anyway.) 

So that was that, Greyson Thomas Wells it was. I LOVE his name. And I feel like it fits him perfectly! 


And coming up on Show and Tell Tuesdays....


No comments:

Post a Comment